Artvigil is a generic medication containing Armodafinil as the active constituent. It is prescribed for treating excessive sleepiness associated with sleep apnea, narcolepsy, or shift work problems. However, remember this medication cannot be a replacement of adequate sleep. Armodafinil present in Artvigil is enantiopure of the wakefulness-promoting medication Modafinil (Provigil). It comprises of only the (R)-(-)-enantiomer of the racemic Modafinil. This medication was approved by the FDA in 2007. It belongs to a class of wakefulness-promoting agents/ Psychoanaleptic. The molecular weight of the active constituent, Armodafinil is 273.35, while the molecular formula is C15H15NO2S. This medication can be more effective in people with excessive daytime sleepiness as compared to Modafinil because of its longer half-life. This medication principally works by altering the amounts of the endogenous chemical in the brain in the area controls wakefulness and sleep. The studies have shown Artvigil improves driving simulator performance in persons with shift work disorder considerably.
The exact mechanism of action of Artvigil is not understood clearly. It is a member of a class of drugs called eugeroics, which promote long-lasting mental arousal. This medication does not bind to or inhibit various receptors and enzymes that help in sleep/wake regulation. In simple words, Armodafinil present in Artvigil acts on the area of the brain that controls sleep and alertness by enhancing the amounts of certain endogenous substances required for staying awake.The onset of action and duration of effect for Artvigil is not clinically determined.
- Read the prescription leaflet carefully before taking this medication. If you have any doubts ask your doctor or pharmacist.
- For conditions such as narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea, this medication is to be taken once every morning.
- For shift work disorder, it needs to be taken at least one hour before you begin your work shift.
- This medication can be consumed with or without food. However, it is best to take it on an empty stomach.
- Take this medicine at the same time every day to experience complete benefits.
- Never stop taking this medication without consulting your physician.
The commonly observed side effects with the use of Artvigil 150 include-
- Dry mouth
The above side effects generally subside after the drug eliminates from the body. However, if any of these side effects worsen or persist for a longer duration of time, immediately call your healthcare provider. A serious side effect is rarely observed with this medication.
- Avoid taking this medication if you have an allergy to Armodafinil, Modafinil or any of the inactive components of Artvigil.
- This medication may not work if used for a long duration of time. Consult your physician if this medicine stops producing the desired action.
- Artvigil 150 can produce addiction in certain individuals. This risk may be enhanced if you are addicted to drugs or alcohol. This medicine needs to be taken exactly as prescribed by your physician to reduce the chances of addiction.
- This medication should not be consumed if you have health issues such as chest pain, hypertension, irregular heartbeats, liver dysfunction, kidney dysfunction, and mental disorders, etc.
- Reduce your caffeine intake as it can produce symptoms such as anxiety, tremor, and a rapid heartbeat when taken along with Artvigil.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine, you may experience withdrawal symptoms like shivering, sweating, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, and confusion.
- Take the missed dose of this medication as soon as you remember. Skip the dose if it’s near bedtime and continue normal dosing schedule.
- Never take two doses at the same time to compensate for the missed dose.
- One should not conceive while taking Artvigil 150. This medication can harm the unborn baby.
- Also, consult your doctor before taking this medication while breastfeeding. It is not known if this medication passes in breast milk.